Since 1987, the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission has recognised the often extraordinary contribution to Australian society of a wide variety of men and women committed to issues of human rights, social justice and equality through the annual Human Rights Medal and Awards.
Each year we receive outstanding nominations for the Human Rights Medal and award categories (Law (sponsored by the Law Council of Australia), Community, Arts Non-Fiction, Print Media, Television and Radio). They may have made an outstanding contribution within their communities or through the practice of law, through writing books about human rights issues or through their work in the media.
- Human Rights Day Oration in MP3 format [14 MB]
- Media Release: 2007 Human Rights Medal and Awards (10 December 2007)
human rights medal
community - individual award
community - organisation award
- Community – organisation: Northern Land Council
- Audio: Community – organisation: Northern Land Council [4.38 MB]
print media award
- Audio: Audio: Print media: 'Dead Men Working' in MP3 format [4.81 MB]
arts non-fiction award
law award (sponsored by law council of australia)
human rights day oration
- Human Rights Day Oration - by HREOC President, John von Doussa
- Audio: Human Rights Day Oration in MP3 format [14 MB]